Idiom 2: A BIRD’S EYE VIEW
Meaning: a panoramic view from a high place
Example: From the helicopter they had a spectacular bird’s eye view of Dubrovnik.
What’s the missing word?
to _____ up a fuss;
to _____-start sth;
to _____ the bucket;
Welcome to my new idioms section: GROW YOUR IDIOMS! Anybody who follows me on Twitter will know I’m nuts about idiomatic expressions, you’ll find my idiom tweets under #FabIdioms. And I’m not just crazy about them in my own language, I love Spanish, French and German idioms, well, idioms from anywhere and everywhere. However, we’ll keep our eyes on the prize and I’ll just teach you English ones here on my blog! 🙂
So, here goes….
Idiom 1: STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT
Meaning: take immediate advantage of an opportunity (because later on the situation may not be so favourable)
Katerina is about to graduate from university and she’s thinking of travelling round the world for a year. However, the job market is currently very good so her father thinks she shouldn’t travel right now but start applying for jobs. He thinks she should strike while the iron is hot.
I said to a friend of mine, “You’re not working at the moment and you really need a good level of English to secure a well-paid job. Now’s the time to study and connect with English as much as possible. Make the most of this free time you have. Strike while the iron is hot!”
Fill the gaps with the phrasal verbs (in the correct form). There is an extra verb.
drag on drop off go off join in run into set off squeeze in stand for stick around
1. ran into 2. set off 3. drop/off 4. squeeze/in 5. go off 6. dragged on 7. stuck around 8. join in
What’s the missing word?
to _____ swords with sb;
to double-_____ sb;
to _____ sb’s mind;
Use the word in capitals to form a new word which fits the gap.
1. His salary is not enough – it’s ________. SUFFICE
2. The first half of the match was pretty boring in ________ with the second. COMPARE
3. Meditation has been ________ proven to reduce stress. SCIENCE
Add suitable question tags.
1. Everybody’s ready to go, __________?
2. Let’s be reasonable, __________?
3. There’s no place like home, __________?
4. Alan never took his work seriously, __________?
5. Patricia hardly said a word, __________?
6. Nobody has seen my wallet, __________?
7. Everyone has secrets, __________?
8. That’s such a shame, __________?
9. Nothing surprises you anymore, __________?
10. Nearly everyone came to the meeting, __________?