B1/ B2 Grammar Exercise
Put these sentences into the third conditional
eg. If we had tried harder, we would have won the match.
1. If I __________ (know) it was your birthday I __________ (buy) you a drink.
2.If Sandra __________ (apologise) sooner, John __________ (forgive) her.
3. Paul __________ (come) on the sailing holiday with us if he __________ (not / break) his leg.
4. If you __________ (not / say) it was Lucy in the photo, I never __________ (guess) it was her. She looks so different now.
5. If you __________ (tell) me you needed money, I __________ (can / lend) you some.
6. We __________ (not / miss) the bus if we __________ (leave) a little bit earlier.
7. It was bitterly cold. If I __________ (bring) my hat and gloves, I __________ (wear) them.
8. If Isabel __________ (not / oversleep), she __________ (not / be) late for school.
9. Mum __________ (let) us stay up late to watch the match, if we __________ (not / have) school the next day.
10. If you __________ (keep) the receipt, you __________ (can / take) the coat back to the shop.
1. had known / would have bought
2. had apologised / would have forgiven
3. would have come / hadn’t broken
4. hadn’t said / would have guessed
5. had told / could have lent
6. wouldn’t have missed / had left
7. had brought / would have worn
8. hadn’t overslept / wouldn’t have been
9. would have let / hadn’t had
10. had kept / could have taken
More grammar exercises for improving your English
Conversation Questions with the Second Conditional
Conversation Questions with the Past Simple and Present Perfect