This is a resource for both English learners and teachers. They could be used in class, or with a study buddy, or with somebody you do a language exchange with.
Tips for learners
- In those in-between times when you can’t find somebody to practise with I recommending trying to write down your answers, or even talking out loud to yourself!
- Ensure you make notes of useful words and phrases that you either couldn’t remember or didn’t know when you were trying to explain something. This will really help you to move forward with your English.
- I also highly recommend going through the questions a second or third time at a later date with somebody else, as a way of revision, and you are sure to notice that you are able to explain things faster and more effectively.
Let’s Talk about the Weather
- What’s the weather like where you are today? Is it typical for this time of year?
- Do you check the weather forecast every day? How accurate is the forecast usually?
- What’s your favourite kind of weather? And temperature-wise what do you find most pleasant for you, personally?
- What are your favourite things about each season?
- Could you live in a place where it was hot all year round?
- Can you remember the last time there was a hailstorm? Were you outdoors at the time? Was there any damage?
- Are thunderstorms common where you live? Have you ever had a power cut because of a storm?
- Have you ever seen lightning strike a tree or a building?
- When was the last time you got drenched (=really wet) because you had no coat or umbrella?
- Has your town ever been flooded because of heavy rain?
- Has your town ever been badly affected by a hurricane?
- Does it snow much in your country? Have you ever been stranded in a snowstorm?
- Do you like it when it snows? What activities do you enjoy doing in the snow?
- When was the last time the weather spoilt your plans?
- Have you ever been at sea during bad weather?
- When flying, has your plane ever been diverted because of fog or extreme weather conditions?
- When it’s scorching hot would you rather head for the beach or for the mountains?
- What’s the highest temperature you’ve ever experienced? And the lowest?
- Do you find the weather affects your health?
- Do you worry about global warming? What environmental problems has it caused? What can we do to reduce it?
- Here are some weather idioms. Can you explain them and make your own examples? Do you have similar expressions in your own language?
come rain or shine
be/feel under the weather
it never rains but it pours
to have a face like thunder
a fair-weather friend