Put the verbs in brackets into the past simple.
- The sky ____________ (turn) a pale grey and it suddenly ____________ (become) very cold. Before long it ____________ (begin) to snow.
- “Where ____________ (Nicole Kidman /be born)?”
– “In Hawaii, apparently. She ____________ (grow up) in Australia however.”
- Last night I ____________ (watch) a whole film in English and I’m really pleased because I ____________ (understand) most of the story! And there ____________ (be) no subtitles, honest!
- Andy ____________ (spend) the entire afternoon playing computer games.
- “____________ (who / win) the match yesterday?” – “Nobody! They ____________ (draw) two-all.”
- We were in the middle of watching a scary film when suddenly a picture ____________ (fall off) the wall. It ____________ (give) us such a fright!
- I ____________ (hear) you’re getting married. Congratulations!
- The dog ____________ (be) so frightened of the thunder that he ____________ (hide) behind the sofa.
- Have you finished with that book I ____________ (lend) you? I need it back.
- We ____________ (be) so exhausted that we ____________ (sleep) for almost twelve hours.
- Sofia ____________ (feel) unwell so she ____________ (decide) to go to bed early.
- It ____________ (take) over an hour to get to work because of the heavy traffic.
1. turned; became; began
2. was Nicole Kidman born; grew up
3. watched; understood; were
5. Who won; drew
6. fell off; gave
8. was; hid
10. were; slept
11. felt; decided
More grammar exercises: