It can really help your pronunciation if you know the phonetic symbols and the sounds they represent. You don’t need to worry about learning to write them just to recognise them. Do my quickie Improve Your Accent exercises and you’ll pick them up in no time, plus you’ll improve your pronunciation and your listening skills too.
A. Can you decipher these 8 words?
B. Fill the gaps with the words from exercise A.
- My friends organised a _____ party for my eighteenth birthday.
- If your knee doesn’t heal properly you may need _____.
- Monaco is one of the most famous Grand Prix _____s.
- Scotland has banned the use of wild animals in _____es.
- “Are you sure you want to stay?” – “Yes, I’m _____.”
- Hurry up! If we’re late getting home, Dad’s going to give us another of his _____s.
- We got lost and ended up driving round in _____s.
- Make sure the hotel has a pool and room _____.