Fill the gaps with either the past perfect simple or past perfect continuous.
1. By the time we got to the theatre the play ____________________ (already / start)
2. When Diane walked into the room she could tell that everyone ____________________ (talk) about her.
3. We were exhausted because we ____________________ (walk) around Manhattan all day.
4. Veronica and Harvey ____________________ (only / know) each other for six months when they got married.
5. When I saw Caroline this morning she looked like she ____________________ (cry).
6. They ____________________ (only / live) in California for a month when they experienced their first earthquake.
7. Even though Jeff ____________________ (see) the Grand Canyon before in photos, he was still amazed at the vastness of it.
8. I was so excited about going to Paris. I ____________________ (never / be) there before.
9. The science teacher asked Nora to explain the formula but she couldn’t because she ____________________ (not / listen). She ____________________ (stare) out of the window instead.
10. By the time Jacqueline remembered that she ____________________ (leave) the juicy steak out on the kitchen table, her dog ____________________ (already / discover) it. Yum yum ! 😂
There are lots more free resources for self-study and the classroom here on my website, including…
Past simple Exercise 1 Exercise 2
Present simple or present continuous? Exercise 1
Present perfect continuous Exercise 1
Present perfect simple vs present perfect continuous Exercise 1
TEST YOUR IDIOMS!
Parts of the Body Exercise 1
Animals Exercise 1
Idioms with ‘Give’ Exercise 1
Idioms with ‘Make’ Exercise 1 Exercise 2
Idioms with ‘Take’ Exercise 1
Idioms with ‘Keep’ Exercise 1
Idioms with ‘Think’ Exercise 1