Complete these well-known English idioms with a number or ordinal number from the list. Scroll down for the answers.
first, four, nine, second, seven, six, ten, two
1. “What are you doing on all __________s?” – “I dropped an earring and it’s gone under the sofa. Help me look for it, will you.”
2. We were going to spend the weekend in Madrid but they say the weather is going to be awful so we’re having __________ thoughts.
3. Look at all those people dressed to the __________s. They must be going to a wedding.
4. Fans were knocked for __________ when the actor suddenly announced his retirement.
5. Ryan can’t live at his parents’ for ever. He needs to learn to stand on his own __________ feet.
6. If you get to the gym before 8am, you’ll find a parking space nine times out of __________.
7. Thanks to the internet, people can shop twenty-four-__________.
8. We always have a staff meeting __________ thing on Monday mornings.
What idioms are there related to numbers in your native language and what do they mean? Tell me in the comments or you can send me a tweet.
Click on the link at the top to download the printable version.
SUPPORT Recipes for English!
If you are enjoying the content on my website, can you tell other English learners or teachers about it or give me a shoutout on social media? It only takes a moment and it helps to give me much needed visibility! THANKS!
ANSWERS: 1. four 2. second 3. nine 4. six 5. two 6. ten 7. seven 8. first
MORE IDIOMS EXERCISES
Words starting with SM-
Can you complete all these words which start with the letters SM-? Each line represents a letter. Scroll down for the answers.
1. For dinner we had sm_ _ _ _ salmon with roast potatoes and broccoli.
2. “Mad World” was a sm_ _ _ hit for Tears for Fears in the 1980s.
3. Skunks are known for the foul-sm_ _ _ _n_ odour they squirt to repel predators.
4. Have you got any sm_ _ _ change? I want to get a drink from the vending machine and I don’t have any coins on me.
5. Let’s get Carmina on our team. She’s as sm_ _ _ as a whip.
6. Rocco met a lovely French girl on holiday. They’re absolutely sm_ _ _ _ n with each other and he wants to move to France.
7. Gretel was sm_ _ _-bang in the middle of her presentation when the fire alarm went off.
8. Oh no, I’ve sm_ _ g_ _ my drawing! I had some ink on my fingers.
9. “Would you like some more wine?” – “Yes, but just a sm_ _ g_ _ n, thanks.”
10. The fire may have been caused by a sm_u_d_ _ _ _g cigarette tossed out of a car window.
There are lots more free resources here on my website for learning or teaching English, so please have a look around! My content is aimed mostly at students with a B1 / B2 level of English.
Full list of vocabulary exercises
Full list of grammar exercises
1. smoked 2. smash 3. -smelling 4. small 5. smart
6. smitten 7. smack- 8. smudged 9. smidgeon 10. smouldering
Check out my 3 accounts on Twitter!
Twitter is a wonderful platform for improving languages and getting to know other language learners. Come and say hi!
150phrasalverbs – to learn and review 150 must-know English phrasal verbs