Complete these English idioms about love and romantic relationships with a word from the list. There is one extra word. Scroll down for the answers.
crush, flame, fling, hots, issue, item, knot, lovey-dovey, meant, patch, pop
1. Gabriella wants to have a serious relationship and settle down. She’s not interested in having a __________.
2. You can tell Dylan and Jamie haven’t been going out for very long. They’re still very __________ .
3. Charlotte and Enzo are an __________? I had no idea! Since when have they been going out?
4. It’s no surprise they were married for over fifty years. They were __________ for each other.
5. A good friend of ours is tying the __________ this summer. All her family are coming over from Ireland for the wedding.
6. Lisa was furious when she found out her boyfriend David had been out for a meal with an old __________. David had always told her he never saw his ex-girlfriends.
7. Hannah has a __________ on our history teacher. In fact I think a lot of the students do! Have you seen him? He’s gorgeous and ever so funny.
8. Daniel and his girlfriend are going on holiday to Croatia for a week. He’s quite nervous as he has bought a ring and he’s planning to __________ the question on their last night there.
9. The couple went through a rough __________ last year and almost broke up.
10. Are you kidding? There’s no way Luka has the __________ for me. He barely talks to me and if he does he’s rude.
(Photo by Raissa Lara Llutolf-Fasel, Unsplash)
ANSWERS: 1. fling 2. lovey-dovey 3. item 4. meant 5. knot 6. flame 7. crush 8. pop 9. patch 10. hots
NEW! Join my Small Group Conversation Practice Classes!
MORE IDIOMS EXERCISES
SUPPORT Recipes for English!
If you are enjoying the content on my website, can you tell other English learners or teachers about it or give me a shoutout on social media? It only takes a moment and it helps to give me much needed visibility! THANKS!