Answers 1. are you using 2. tastes 3. take; ‘m driving 4. ‘s waiting 5. prefer 6. is coming 7. do you do 8. are you doing; ‘m trying 9. are you cooking; smells 10. doesn’t rain 11. stays 12. ‘m staying 13. ‘s sleeping 14. does…know 15. ‘m taking
These EFL conversation questions are for both English teachers and students. They can be used in class, or with a study buddy, or with somebody you do a language exchange with.
Tips for learners
In those in-between times when you can’t find somebody to practise with I recommending trying to write down your answers, or even talking out loud to yourself!
Ensure you make notes of useful words and phrases that you either couldn’t remember or didn’t know when you were trying to explain something. This will really help you to move forward with your English.
I also highly recommend going through the questions a second or third time at a later date with somebody else, as a way of revision, and you are sure to notice that you are able to explain things faster and more effectively.
Where possible, expand on your answers, give more details.
If you’re asking the questions, remember to use follow-up questions too. If the conversation goes off on a tangent that’s totally fine – as long as you’re practising, you’re learning!
Let’s practice the SECOND CONDITIONAL!
Answer these hypothetical questions AND give reasons for your answers.
The more effort you make, the stronger your English skills will be.
1. If you could sing a duet with anyone in the world, who would you choose?
2. If you had your own restaurant, what would you call it, what kind of food would you serve and what location would you choose?
3. If someone gave you a hundred dollars right now, how would you spend it?
4. If you could have the best seats at any sporting event, which event would you choose?
5. If someone gave you a magic pill and told you that by taking it you would become instantly fluent in a language, which language would you choose, and why?
6. If you could see any animal in the wild, which animal would you choose?
7. If you could travel back in time which period of history would you like to visit?
8. If you could go and live in any country for a year, which country would you choose?
9. If you could have dinner with three famous people from the present or the past, who would you choose and what would you ask them?
10. If you could be president of your country, what three changes would you make?
11. If you had a band, what kind of music would you play, and what would it be called?
12. If you were stranded on a deserted island for a month, who would you like to be with you?
13. If you had one day to show me your town or city, which places would we visit and where would we go for lunch?
14. If you could turn back time, which occasion in your past would you relive?
15. If you could design and build your dream house or apartment, what would it look like and where would you build it?
16. If it were possible and your safety were guaranteed, which trip would you make – a day in space, a day in Antartica or a day deep-sea diving in a submarine?