Quizzes are a fun and very effective way to improve your English vocabulary. Scroll down for the answers.
A. General Vocabulary
Fill in the gaps. All the words begin with the letters HE- and an extra letter has also been given.
1. Sorry I didn’t call you yesterday but I had a really he_ _ _c day. (= busy)
2. We’re going to plant a he_ g _ at the end of the garden to give us more privacy.
3. Jack’s not very confident about his French so he hes_ _ _ _ _ _ a lot when he speaks. (= pauses)
4. Firefighters wear he_ m _ _ _ to protect them from heat and falling objects.
5. Do you mind listening to your music with he_ _ _ h _ _ _ _ on? I can’t concentrate.
B. Food Idioms
Complete the expressions using the words below. There are two extra words.
apples gooseberries grapes nuts peppers salts
1. Daniel was criticising how his team played on Saturday but it’s just sour _____ because he wasn’t chosen to play.
2. I don’t know what on earth was in that smoothie but it went through me like a dose of _____ and I had to rush to the nearest bathroom.
3. Come on, you can’t compare heavy metal to jazz! That’s like comparing _____ to oranges.
4. The crowd went _____ when Lady Gaga walked onto the stage.
C. Word Building
Use the word in capitals to form a new word which fits the gap.
1. What __________ will we need for our camping trip? EQUIP
2. Ugh! What on earth is that __________ smell! DISGUST
3. To my __________ Grant apologised. He never apologises for anything! AMAZE
4. Nobody lives on the island – it’s __________. INHABIT
Follow me on 📌 PINTEREST!
One-page worksheets each with three exercises on general vocabulary, idioms, practical English, etc. (with PDF)
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
End the Confusion (1): Forget vs. Leave (with exercise)
End the Confusion (2): Lend vs. Borrow (with exercise)
End the Confusion (3): At the end vs. In the end (with exercise)
End the Confusion (4): Look vs. See vs. Watch (with exercise)
End the Confusion (5): Raise vs. Rise (with exercise)
A. 1. hectic 2. hedge 3. hesitates 4. helmets 5. headphones
B. 1. grapes 2. salts 3. apples 4. nuts
C. 1. equipment 2. disgusting 3. amazement 4. uninhabited